Orthodontic treatments, such as braces, are used to correct problems with the spacing of teeth and the alignment of the upper and lower jaws. Whether for yourself or your child, this type of treatment brings with it a better smile, improved confidence, and a lifetime of good oral health. Dr. Ronald Schoepflin and Dr. Scott Smith provide orthodontic treatment at Shoepflin Dental Excellence in Port Orchard, WI—read on to learn more.
How Braces Can Improve Your Oral Health
Dental braces are one of the most common orthodontic treatments from our Port Orchard office. They have many benefits including:
- Preventing bone erosion: Because braces ease your teeth into their normal position of alignment, they prevent bacteria from eroding bones and affecting the structural integrity of your mouth.
- Reducing the risks of gum disease: When your teeth are spaced out evenly, brushing and flossing are easier, so you can take care of your teeth properly. This will minimize your risk of gum disease.
- Preventing tooth decay and cavities: As above, proper cleaning will also reduce plaque build-up and prevent tooth decay that, left untreated, causes cavities.
- Helping you eat: Misaligned teeth can cause difficulties biting and chewing, which can also lead to digestive problems. Braces enable you to chew your food into smaller pieces, which are digested more easily.
- Improving your speech: Misaligned teeth, overbites, and underbites can cause difficulty speaking. Wearing braces can eliminate this problem.
- Boosting your self-confidence: Braces can help to create a great smile, and this will improve your self-esteem.
Because braces can fix the above problems, they can also help to improve your overall health. Preventing tooth decay and gum disease can also lower your risk of h=life-threatening conditions such as heart attack and stroke.
If you are a Port Orchard resident and you would like to find out more about braces for yourself or your child, call Dr. Ronald Schoepflin and Dr. Scott Smith at (360) 871-2959.