When are Dental Crowns Needed?
This tooth-shaped cap is the restoration that will protect your damaged tooth.
Enamel is extremely strong but it doesn’t mean that a tooth can’t still sustain damage. From sports injuries to chewing ice, there are many habits and situations that can end up causing a tooth to chip, crack or fracture. When this happens, our Port Orchard, WA, dentists Dr. Ronald Schoepflin and Dr. Scott Smith swoop in to give you a restoration that will cover and protect the tooth. This restoration is known as a dental crown.
As you might have guessed from the name alone, this dental cap is designed to look just like the natural crown of a tooth. The crown is hollow, so it can easily fit over a tooth to cover it completely. By covering a tooth, a dental crown can strengthen and protect it from further damage.
While healthy teeth won’t often require dental crowns, our Port Orchard, WA, general dentist may recommend getting a dental crown if:
- You have a tooth that is fractured, cracked or broken
- You have a tooth that has been weakened by decay, trauma or infection
- You have to undergo a root canal
- You have a malformed or discolored tooth
- You have a severely worn tooth (often from bad habits such as teeth grinding)
- You want to replace a missing tooth with a dental implant or bridge
The goal of a dental crown is to:
- Strengthen the weak tooth
- Improve chewing and speaking
- Prevent further wear and tear on the tooth
- Stabilize and support a dental bridge
- Cover a dental implant
- Improve the appearance of a tooth
In most instances a dental crown will be used for restorative purposes; however, as you can see from this list, a crown may also be placed if it is severely discolored or disfigured to make it more attractive and to look like the rest of your natural and healthy smile.
Do you have questions about getting dental crowns? Do you want to discuss whether a crown is the right option for restoring a damaged tooth? If so, call Schoepflin Dental Excellence in Port Orchard, WA, today to schedule a consultation with us.